Sometimes we believe we have placed some goals in our life, while we are just doing some wishful thinking.
The SMART goal setting methodology can help ensure that our goals are actually… goals! It states that every goal should have all the following characteristics:
- Specific (also simple, sensible, significant)
- Measurable (also meaningful, motivating)
- Achievable (also agreed, attainable)
- Relevant (also reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based)
- Time bound (also time-based, time limited, timely, time-sensitive)
It’s even better when they are SMARTER:
Our place in life changes daily, the same is true with our needs and wishes. Consequently, every so often it is good to evaluate and review our goals.
If we think we have set some goals without having applied the SMART filter, most probably they are not goals. They are simply wishes!
See also our article on: Learn about how.. you learn!